Unbelievably, 123-Reg now charge £4.99 for a service that Nominet provides FOR FREE.
This is following on from their decision to start charging for IPS tag changes, which was equally unpopular.
It’s pretty straightforward to get round though, just follow these instructions.
Don’t have a Nominet account?
You’ll need one:
- Go to this page and enter the email address you entered when registering your domain name
- If all is well, you should get a link emailed to you to set a password
- Set up a password then follow the instructions below
- Log in here
- Find the domain name you want to enable WHOIS privacy for and click the first Edit button:
- Simply click the yes button for WHOIS Opt Out and click Save:
- That’s it! If you do a WHOIS soon after you should see your personal details have been opted-out, for nothing!
Already have a Nominet account?
I must say, all these sneaky charges that 123-Reg are introducing are starting to make me re-consider using them. However we currently have around 150 domain names managed with them, so in practice this is not that easy to do!
Hopefully this helps you though if you, like me, are amazed that they want to charge you £4.99 for ticking a box!
Until next time (probably 2018 judging by the date of my last post!),